What's worse than being tired?

There are only a few things in life that get me really pissed off and in a bad mood. The first is being stuck in traffic. It makes me go crazy and think horrible thoughts. I could be in the best mood ever but the second I hit traffic my mood does a 180 and I'm ready to rage on anyone or anything. Secondly, I hate being sick. While I'm sick I'm only thinking about how much fitness I'm loosing and that I can't train, exercise or do anything productive. Here is the worst, most annoying and aggrevating feeling in the world, being tired. I'm not talking about feeling tired because you stayed out all night partying or because you had a bad night sleep. I'm talking about being physically tired to the point where you can't hit your marks while training.

I hate, hate, hate having to rest or having a recovery week or having to, dare I say it? Take a day off. I want to be able to go as hard as I want, for as long as I want, when I want. It pisses me off when my body says, "no", or says, "go ahead, do it and we'll see what happens". For the past couple of weeks I've put in some quality sessions with very limited rest and this week Matt scheduled a recovery week. I without a doubt need it and will certainly benefit from it however, I don't want to rest or take it easy. I want to go hard and have as many breakthroughs as I did for the past month. Taking a week to recover means I'm not progressing and getting faster, stronger, better or does it?

The more I learn about my body and the abuse I can put it through the more understanding I'm am of the significance of recovery. To often during build weeks we take little time to recover because well, we are feeling great. We don't feel tired or any level of fatigue so why take time out to stretch, or adequately replenish nutrients or get a massage or take a nap? Taking another 20-45 minutes per training session or 3 times a week can greatly improve your fitness level or reduce the level/onset of fatigue. Believe it or not it is during the recovery phase that your body gets stronger not during the punishing training sessions. I have to come to terms with recovery and its benefits. 



REPEAT AFTER ME:

There is no way I will lose any fitness during recovery or taking a day or two off. 

I will be stronger after recovery and be able to push my body further once it has recovered.

Recovery is a key to my success.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Lead In

Harriman 70.3 - Race Report

Stepping Up to Ironman