The RESULTS are in . . .

I have tested positive for BABESIOSIS.  

Ummmmm, what?

According to the CDC, Babesiosis is caused by microscopic parasites that infect red blood cells. Most human cases of Babesiainfection in the United States are caused by the parasite Babesia microti. Occasional cases caused by other species (types) of Babesia have been detected. Babesia microti is spread in nature by Ixodes scapularis ticks (also called blacklegged ticks or deer ticks). Tickborne transmission is most common in particular regions and seasons: it mainly occurs in parts of the Northeast and upper Midwest; and it usually peaks during the warm months. Babesia infection can range in severity from asymptomatic to life-threatening. The infection is both treatable and preventable.

I was assured by my doctor that babesiosis is treatable so I'm now taking two different antibiotics for the next 10 days.  One of the antibiotics is a pill to be taken once daily and the other is a neon yellow liquid to be taken twice daily.   I was further assured that my fatigue and lightheadedness were symptoms of babesiosis and that I should be cured following the completion of my antibiotics!  

I can't wait to get back to training and going full steam ahead towards reaching my goals, even if I have to race in November to reach them.  

Thanks for everyone's support for the past few months for dealing with my craziness especially, my Wife, Matt, Meaghen and Dan


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Harriman 70.3 - Race Report

The Lead In

Mental Toughness