Rediscoverd Running


A strength that has set me apart from other athletes from kindergarten to College was my speed.  I was hands down one of the fastest athletes on the field, court etc or the one with greatest amount of firing fast-twitch muscles fibers.  When college came to end so did my career with field sports, my speed and desire to run.  The years of punishment I put my legs through sidelined me for a few years.

Then came triathlon and a new understanding and appreciation of how my body operates.  Now I run for endurance rather than for speed and my reliance on fast-twitch muscle fibers has transitioned to a reliance on slow-twitch muscles fibers.  With any type of endurance training there must be a relationship between your cardiovascular fitness and biomechanics.  Being deficient in any of the two will limit your endurance capabilities.  Through a lot of trial and error I have managed to drastically alter my biomechanics, specifically my efficiency.  Because of this recent development I have rediscovered the enjoyment I once had for running.

In an effort to spend more time with my wife, family and friends I have decided to run before work, which means hitting the pavement at 4:30 a.m.  Historically I have hated running so early in the morning especially, so shortly after waking up.  For the past month however the tides have changed.  Running so early in the morning is unbelievablely tranquil and balancing.  There are no cars, trucks or buses, dogs barking, kids screaming or birds chirping. No distractions. There is only a calmness created by the Zen atmosphere and the rhythm of my breathing and cadence. 

Early morning running . . . namaste

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stepping Up to Ironman

Harriman 70.3 - Race Report

The Lead In