Philly FTW

Philly

The close of my triathlon season at Ironman Princeton 70.3 was a cause for celebration.  I headed down to Miami with my wife and finished the season properly.  While on the plane to and from Miami I created a highlight reel of the season and started to think about what was next? What was I going to do with my " off season"? With our first child on its way I had to start making some smart choices. Should I race (triathlon) again in November, December and January . . . only if I wanted an immediate divorce!  So racing triathlon throughout the winter was off the table but, I am carrying a ton of fitness and didn't want to waste it.

With a bunch of friends running the Philadelphia Marathon I figured I'd might as well drive down there and support them.  I have always enjoyed cheering people on and giving back to those that had supported me through out the season so, I made the decision . . . I'm headed to Philly as a super fan.

Cheering is fun but, racing is better.  I checked with Melissa and was given clearance.  I jumped on a computer, registered, and booked a hotel in a matter of minutes. The OFF season was now back ON.

My training focus for the Philly Half Marathon is going to be speed work.  I once viewed a half marathon as a long distance event. I now treat it as a short race.  I am by no means competitive with true runners but I'm certainly not pacing myself to ensure I cross the finish line.

Over the summer on a training run I ran just under 1:32 for 13.1 miles.  My goal for this race is to go under 1:30.  I will certainly need to have a great day to accomplish this but I'm pretty confident that I can do it.

What has me most excited for this up coming weekend is that I will be dining, laughing, taking in the sights and sharing race war stories with friends.

Some type of race report to follow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mental Toughness

The Lead In

Finding My Ultra 2.3