Finding My Ultra 2.0


I have stored away my bikes and packed away my swim gear because I have fully committed to finding my ultra! The new sense of adventure has my adrenaline flowing.

There were a few must-haves when selecting my first ultra. First, it had to be on the trails.  The excitement, stimulation and changing landscape of trail running has no equal.  I also wanted the race to be off Long Island. Finding a race away from home would leave me out of my comfort zone.  With unfamiliar trails and faces the level of adventure would be through the roof.  As if the distance wouldn't present enough of a challenge I wanted a race that would allow me to redefine "my comfortable" and push me to and possibly beyond my limits. The Traprock 50K in Bloomfield, Connecticut meets all the criteria.

Training for Traprock has already started. The first couple of months of training must be managed extremely carefully so that my body has time to adapt and then grow  from a totally new training regiment. For the month of October frequency and consistency supersede anything else. So far I have been running 5 days a week and averaging just over 20 miles per week. For the month of November the plan doesn't change much.  I will continue to build my running base and up the mileage to 30 miles per week.  At the end of November I will re asses my training and then create a very specific training plan to put myself in the best position to be successful on race day.

I have a tremendous amount to learn about ultra running in the next few months and I can't wait to get geeked out.

Side note: Im extremely curious to see the changes brought on by ultra running.  How will my perspective and understanding of sport and life change? What will happen to my body? I have a feeling that I will find more than just my ultra in the next 7 months.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stepping Up to Ironman

Harriman 70.3 - Race Report

The Lead In