Consistency and California

Some people ride the highs and lows of each individual session of each day.  While I do enjoy the highs associated with nailing a training session I don't fall apart when I don't.  There is no way that I can expect to nail every session for an entire season.  What I do chose to focus on and get the most amount of confidence in is the consistency of my training.  The more consistent I am, the better I feel about myself and the more optimistic I am about achieving my goals for the season.  For the past few months I have been very consistant with my training and have been reaping the rewards; physically, mentally and emotionally. 

I took the opportunity to visit my brother and his fiance in California this past week.  The goal was to spend as much time with them as possible since I only see them a couple times a year. I knew that my normal training schedule was going to be thrown to the curb side so I would treat the week as a recovery week.  I did however plan to get some running in and take advantage of the weather and hills.

I cant express in words how much I love California.  The weather, people, vibe, training, food, there isn't anything that doesn't kick ass.  My days on vacation went something like this; run, eat, climb/hike, nap, eat, wine, repeat.  It's pretty damn hard to argue with that schedule.  The hills just around my brother's neighborhood are better than anything Long Island has to offer.  The days I ran I averaged around 2000ft of climbing with in 5-6 miles!  I couldn't get enough of the hills, any hill I saw I had to run up. I was in heaven.  The most encouraging part of running the hills was that when I came to the rare flat stretch of road I was able to hit my race pace with ease.  My legs are getting stronger :)

I can only imagine the strength I could build if I could train and recover, uninterrupted, for an entire month out there.  I would come back to NY a total beast.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Lead In

Stepping Up to Ironman

Harriman 70.3 - Race Report